Hi, I'm Dana. My husband is Bueno.
Welcome to our blog!

Comfort | French Lentil Soup with Parsnip & Apple

Pin It

The kitchen is a retreat – and a place of comfort for me. As a single mom to my daughter Audra for 6 years, there were times when I felt alone and sad. I would call a friend and then retreat to my tiny apartment kitchen and bake or cook. This is a soup for those times.

My husband, loves lentil soup, and parsnips are a childhood food memory for me. I decided to incorporate an apple to add a little natural sweetness for our two small boys.

French Lentil Soup with Parsnip & Apple

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 and 1/4 cup parsnips, chopped

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 quart vegetable broth (I prefer low sodium)

1 and  1/4 cup french green lentils

1 cup apple, chopped

1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or more)

Here’s how:

In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. Add onion and garlic, and saute until golden, about 3 minutes.

Stir in parsnips, salt and black pepper, and saute for about 5 minutes longer.

Add broth, 2 cups water, lentils and apples. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover the pot. Allow soup to simmer 30 – 35 minutes. Taste, and add salt if necessary.

Using a blender puree half of the soup, then add back to the pot. Soup should be somewhat chunky. Add fresh thyme leaves and gently reheat.

xoxo, dana

, , , , ,

30 Responses to Comfort | French Lentil Soup with Parsnip & Apple

1. Christa December 18, 2012 at 9:39 am #

This looks and sounds delicious! Just printed and will add to my menu for next week. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Dana December 18, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

I was thinking this recipe would be a lovely soup for a pre-holiday celebration =) Have a wonderful holiday, Christa!

2. Angela December 23, 2012 at 4:16 am #

Simple and surely delicious – I like it:) Merry Christmas Dana:)

• Dana December 23, 2012 at 7:43 am #

Merry Christmas to you as well, Angela =) Thank you so much!

3. Melanie Hughes December 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm #

This sounds divine and I am looking forward to making it this weekend. Quick question – I have dried green lentils, do I need to soak them first? Or just straight into the pot? I’m new to cooking lentils.

• Dana December 28, 2012 at 4:07 pm #

Hi Melanie => I really love this soup! I did not soak them first. I used french green lentils – smaller in size and darker in color than regular green lentils. Cheers and Happy New Year =))

4. Mimi January 5, 2013 at 8:08 pm #

This soup is so good! I followed the recipe with the addition of about a tsp. of dried sage for a family dinner and even my picky boyfriend wanted seconds. I already bought more parsnips to make it again. Thanks for the recipe!

• Dana January 6, 2013 at 7:37 am #

So great to hear from you Mimi =>> Thanks for taking the time to “connect” and leave such a sweet message!! Dana

5. Sarah January 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm #

Hi Dana,

I just made this soup and it was fabulous! So easy and healthy and perfect for a weeknight meal. I love your photography on your website and also love the GIF!

Sarah

• Dana January 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm #

Hi Sarah =>> thank you for your super sweet message!! I am so happy you found my site and tried my recipe =)) I had a bakery for 12 years and we made a soup each day – it’s one of my favorite things to make for lunch and a quick dinner. Dana

6. Sally January 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

I decided today would be a good day for lentil soup. I had parsnips and apples on hand. So I googled “lentils parsnips apples” and this perfect recipe popped up for me. So, so good and wonderfully easy. Thanks so much for helping me make a delicious dinner. I look forward to checking out more of your blog and recipes.

• Dana January 30, 2013 at 8:19 pm #

What a sweet message for me to see tonight, Sally!! That’s so cool and I love hearing that =)) Dana

7. Sooxieb February 23, 2013 at 2:36 pm #

buena*–
    Before spring comes I will be making this!
    (I have a zig-zaggy history with lentils–I’ll tell you sometime–but I doooo love them!)
    Sooxieb!

*bueno + chiquita dana = buena

• Dana February 23, 2013 at 6:17 pm #

I can’t wait to hear the story of your zig-zaggy history with lentils!! buena(dana)

8. Carole May 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm #

Lovely dish! Would you be happy to link it in to the new Food on Friday which is all about parsnip and pumpkin? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. Cheers

• Dana May 2, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Cheers Carole =)) just linked!

9. Carole May 2, 2013 at 11:00 pm #

Dana, thanks for popping over and adding this to the collection. I do hope to see you again soon. Cheers

10. Aly June 26, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

This looks delicious! How many portions does it make?

• Dana June 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm #

I do not know exactly Aly… I will calculate next time I prepare, but it seems approximately 6 good size portions. I did have a nice amount for left overs each time which stored and reheated so wonderfully =))

11. Marisa September 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm #

This soup was absolutely amazing and super easy to make! I’m a college student and it was so nice to sit down to a homemade bowl of soup instead of the canned garbage. I will definitely be making this again! Thanks for the recipe :)

• Dana September 24, 2013 at 11:53 am #

Thank you for leaving me your sweet message Marisa =)) Hope you have a fantastic day!!

12. Jonathan AUyer December 14, 2013 at 1:06 pm #

Holy awesome this recipe looks great. Plus, the time-stop pictures is an awesome touch! It blew my mind! Thanks for posting. Have to give this a try in the next few days.

• Dana December 14, 2013 at 1:46 pm #

Thanks Jonathan for your super nice message today!!

13. Diane moll January 20, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

I just made this soup and it is sooo good and hearty . I puréed most of it b/c we like a thicker consistency.

• Dana February 18, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Thank you so much Diane! A thicker consistency is so comforting and “creamy”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Hearty Soups to Keep You Cozy on a Cold Day | Yummly - January 14, 2013

[...] French Lentil Soup with Parsnip & Apple from BuenoVida [...]

2. Winter Favourites - January 15, 2013

[...] soup craze continues. On the hit list: sweet potato soup, French lentil soup with parsnip and apple, black bean pumpkin [...]

3. Hello Beautiful | Girlfriend Recommended: Globally-Inspired Soup Recipes - February 1, 2013

[...] Lentil Soup With Parsnip & Apple, BuenoVida No one does comfort food quite like the French… This tasty vegetarian soup combines hearty [...]

4. Lentil Soup with Parsnip & Apple | iheartcooking.heheartseating - February 17, 2013

[...] day to stay in our PJ’s all day and try it out.  I found this recipe on another blog, http://www.buenovida.com, and I made a couple of additions of my own.  I stuck to the recipe until there was about 10 [...]

5. COOKING WITH APPLES | Best Friends For Frosting - November 18, 2013

[…] may think you’ve already tasted the world’s greatest soup, but have you tried French Lentil Soup with Parsnip & Apple? (via […]